Lusta Hair is a high quality 100% Remy Human Hair piece. We want you to get the most out of your topper. So, the more love you show it, the longer your topper will stay gorgeous.
Depending on how often you wear a topper/wig determines how often you will need to wash it. For daily use, I recommend you wash it every 2-4 weeks, depending on your level of activity.
Pretty please use high quality salon grade shampoo and conditioner. Sulphate-free shampoo is ideal, and then choose any salon grade ‘hydrating’ conditioner. Simply fill up your sink with lukewarm water and mix a coin size amount of the shampoo into the water to create a soapy lather. Dip the topper/wig into the water, holding onto the part (silk) area to avoid tangling. Work the piece into the soapy water by dipping it in and out of the water and work the suds into the hair. Empty the sink and rinse the shampoo out with running warm water. Shampoo your piece twice if you feel it needs it. Use the same method with the conditioning process. Do not rub conditioner directly onto the scalp area or to any part of the cap as this may cause the knots to loosen over time.
If your topper or wig contains any lace, be extra delicate around the lace when washing and styling etc.
Whilst the blondes like have more fun, they do need a little extra love. Every month use a hydrating conditioning hair mask. The alternative is to leave your usual conditioner on the piece for an hour or two (wet or dry).
If your wig contains any silicone inside the cap, wipe the silicone down with soapy water or alcohol wipes every 1-2 wears to clean.
You can use heat (blow dry and straighter/curling) on your human hair topper/wig but be sure to use a low heat setting. The less heat you use, the longer your piece can feel like new. It is recommended that your piece is styled on a block head (mannequin head) with clamp for ease of use. A topper should be pinned down with T Pins. The pins should be inserted carefully through the clips. Do not pin through the silk area. A wig can sit on a small mannequin head - ensure that you are never stretching a wig to fit on a larger mannequin head. Do not pin through any silk area or silicone area. Lusta recommends the use of heat protector styling products.
It is safe to use other products, like hair spray, on your piece. Be mindful not to overdo it and also to wash the product out well. It is not recommended to use colour sprays or root sprays as this will discolour the silk/lace material and can ruin the texture of the hair.
When brushing, be mindful not to tug too hard on any of the tangles. Go gentle. Use a paddle brush, not a fine-tooth comb. Always start brushing from the bottom of the hair and gently work your way up. Avoid combing the hair when it’s wet as the knots can loosen over time.
Store your piece on a mannequin head when it’s not in use to help keep its shape. Do not store your piece in direct sunlight, as this can cause the colour to oxidise (lighten). Store with the clips closed and tangle-free. Any size mannequin head will work for toppers. Ensure you use a correct mannequin head size for your wig, so it is not being stretched whilst stored. Your piece can also be stored in a box if you don’t intend to hang out every day.
If you are taking your Lusta piece to your hairdresser for a cut, here are some tips to share with them.
- Avoid blunt cuts
- Avoid the use of 'thinning scissors'
- Cut the length while it’s being worn on your head
- For fringes/bangs, ensure your bio hair is all pinned back before cutting
- Thin the hair out by sectioning out layers, so the top doesn’t end up too heavy and 80s-mullet-like (even though we hear retro is making a comeback!)
If you are taking your Lusta to your hairdresser for a colour, here are some tips to share with them.
- Use highest quality salon grade colour products
- Always apply a test strand before performing any colour work
- It is recommended not to lighten or bleach the hair
- Lighter toppers can be darkened by a trained stylist to add darker roots, lowlights or a reverse balayage. It is suggested to use up to 1.9% peroxide.
- Natural, unprocessed hair can be lightened at your own risk by a trained stylist with alternative hair experience, as the dark colours can go orange very easily. With lightening a topper/wig it is suggested to use no higher than 3% powder lightener/peroxide
- If colouring, do not leave the piece unattended as they take colour very quickly. Check colour progress regularly.
- Be careful with colour around the silk scalp material. If concerned, Vaseline petroleum jelly can be used to coat the silk material and washed out later. Alternatively, we suggest applying a test patch of colour to the back of the crown silk area. Please rinse colour out thoroughly. In the unlikely instance where the silk top stains, it should come out after a few washes and with time, but just caution this.
In short, the better the care, the longer you and your Lusta can be besties!